Friday, July 2, 2010

Vasilievskiy - My Would-be Neighborhood

Friday after work I headed to the one major part of St. Petersburg's center that I had not yet visited - Vasilievsky Island. It turns out that I really liked it and if I were settling down in St. Petersburg for good, I think this is where it would be. It felt more like a neighborhood than a lot of other areas and was a little quieter, but still had all the things you need. It has a really nice, active pedestrian street and awesome views. I don't know if I have much else to say about it though...

So I'll just post some pictures from my walk.

A nice church


One of two 3500 year-old sphinxes, installed on either side of the steps leading down to the river in front of the Imperial Academy of Arts. They are the two most northerly located Egyptian sphinxes in the world and were brought to St. Petersburg from Thebes and placed here in 1823.

St. Peter and Paul Fortress

I feel like my blogging effort lately has been a little lackluster, for which I apologize. I'll try to make my posts a little more exciting, and maybe even a little more witty. I don't want to lose readers, you know.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Loren, I am a devoted follower!

    How is work going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you a law intern or are you doing real estate? I half expected a report on schools and grocery stores in the area. You know what I love about little Russian orthodox churches? The decorTors have real guts! They just go for it-from the inside out. - K
    P.s. Did you know I know Matisyahu? Super nice guy. I love his songs, and his shows, right up to the part where I say "look at all these stoners in stupid tye dyed shirts, didn't they get the memo-college was over 10 years ago, it's not cool to hacky-sac when your over 27." then Abby says "your here too" And I say "sad"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen- it's good "settling down" is in his plans, give him some credit. Also, thanks for the helping me decide what to wear to Matisyahu's concert in August.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always happy to give fashion advise. I think if you are ever at a loss for what to wear, tie dye is always the safest bet.

    ReplyDelete