Friday, June 18, 2010

Mariinsky (Kirov) Ballet

Friday I left work at about 5:30 so that I could go to the Mariinsky Theater to see the ballet Romeo and Juliet. As the Mariinsky Ballet, or Kirov Ballet, as they are generally called outside of Russia, is apparently one of the greatest and most important companies in the world, I figured this was something I needed to do while in St. Petersburg. I thought leaving at 5:30 would give me plenty of time. An hour later I was less than halfway to the theater because of a series of things. First, the bus didn't come for about twenty minutes. Then, after going two stops, the driver announced that the bus I was on was not going to be completing the route, but was stopping at Moskovskiy Voksal, which was only a couple stops away, so I had to get off and wait for another bus to come. Then the traffic was insane because streets were closed all over the place. I watched the minutes tick by, and when the clock hit 6:35 and we still had twenty or thirty minutes to go had traffic been normal, I jumped off the second bus and started to run. The bus route to the theater is not that direct, so I figured with the bus stuck in traffic and me being able to walk a more direct route to the theater I had a chance. Unfortunately I wasn't really dressed for running (shirt and tie, dress pants, and dress shoes). After running several blocks in church shoes I figured I wasn't going to be able to keep up a run the whole way, and my bruised rib was kind of throbbing, so I slowed to a really fast walk. I got to the theater, very sweaty, at 6:59. Good thing. My ticket was really expensive and I did not want to be shut out. It took a little while for me to get comfortable, given my sweaty, tired condition (also because I was sitting on an uncomfortable wooden chair), but by the end of the first act I felt pretty good.

If you want to listen to some music while you read the rest of this post, here's a link to the music from the ballet that was the most familiar to me. I didn't expect to know any of the music, so I was happy to find that I did. I really like the way it starts. It will get kind of loud at first, but don't turn down the volume too much because it gets quiet very suddenly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSxpxjMQ9c
Juliet was danced by Alina Somova and Romeo by Andrian Fadeyev. Since I know almost nothing about ballet I couldn't really be much of a judge, but they looked pretty good to me! Here's kind of an interesting review I read afterwards about Alina Somova. The audience loved it. The clapping went on for FOREVER. One of the things that I noticed in Lithuania, and which apparently also happens here, is that within about ten seconds of beginning to clap everyone starts clapping in unison, so instead of a general noise, people are clapping out a definite beat. I think it's kind of an interesting cultural thing.

The theater itself was very nice too.

After I got tired of clapping I went over to a place where I could get this picture of the hall. You can't quite see my seat in this picture. I was just to the left of the royal box, in the first balcony. It was a really good seat.


I was in a really good mood afterwards, and when I came out of the theater, at about 11:00 pm, it was such a beautiful night I decided to walk all the way home. I ended up taking a ton of pictures on the way. I'm going to share just enough of them so you can imagine what my walk home looked like. It was pretty nice.

The view up the Moika Canal to St. Isaac's Cathedral

The Mariinskiy Palace

A view of the Admiralty

A rollerblading gang in palace square. People here rollerblade all the time, it seems, but this was the first gang of rollerbladers I had come across.

A view of palace square

Art students

Church of the Savior on Blood

By the time I took this last picture I was almost home and it was almost midnight. As I was walking up to this spot I noticed a familiar looking man looking at me. We both looked at each other a couple times, and as I was taking this picture he came and stood next to me to take a picture too. I realized it was Brother Kosak. He's from Germany and was the coordinator for the church seminary and institute programs in the Baltics and some other parts of Eastern Europe while I was on my mission. I had met him several times when he was in Lithuania. He had thought I looked familiar, and he and his wife, who was with him, thought I looked like a member of the church, probably because I was wearing a white shirt and tie and had a backpack on. Not many people over here are sporting that look. It was fun to talk to him for a little while. He's now the head of seminary and institute for all of the Europe East Area, so he lives in Moscow now, and he informed me that there is an Institute building in St. Petersburg, not far from my apartment. I don't know why I haven't been able to find this out from people at church that I've talked to, but I'm excited to start participating in Institute. It will be a great way to meet some people that I can start doing things with, practicing my Russian with, and will provide me with a support network, which is always nice. It was a great way to end of the day. I went to bed feeling very happy.

7 comments:

  1. Love the clapping! Love it. I have to admit that I try to encourage (force) rhythmic clapping anytime I have the opportunity. :) It brings back memories and simply, makes me smile.

    Love the midnight sky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the theme I was remembering when we were talking about this--I just couldn't get it far enough forward in my brain to nail it. I love this overture! They did the unison clapping when we went to the Mozart Requiem in Kiev. That is a great memory, too.
    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I didn't give you any info about institute on Fontanka earlier. I have asked a few of my friends who go to church on Malookhtinsky if they've met you and none of them seem to have any idea what I'm talking about. Hopefully you're able to meet some people soon though and participate in activities...they're a fun group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The theater looks lovely both inside and out. I'm glad you made it in time. I like the ballet and Romeo and Juliet is a good one to see. It is interesting to see how the story is adapted for the stage. I love the music! Wouldn't it be amazing to think about a story and have your mind fill with music to go with it? Your evening walk was lovely too. The light is so cool when the sun is low, but doesn't set. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, theatres! If you haven't, you really should go to:
    *the Alexandrinsky Theatre.The production of "The Inspector General" was AMAZING--superb comedic timing and characterizations. Any production there would be worth seeing. They are also trying to draw in students, and think there should be discounts. And if you go, there is a museum upstairs covering Russian Theatre history with historic costumes, set designs--really fascinating.
    *If you can catch Crime and Punishment by this company, it was fascinating:
    http://www.kukfo.ru/eng/main.php?id=5&sub=0
    great use of puppetry, an excellent adaptation.
    *the Maly theatre. It's a bit on the brooding side, but very well known internationally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to mention that the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood (the last photo) is one of my favorite. I have a picture of it on my desk at work... someday, I'll go. :)

    ReplyDelete