Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My Favorite Lunch and Other Things

I think I've mentioned a few different times on my blog that I really like Georgian food. Unfortunately, Georgian food isn't something we get a lot of back in the USA, but there is plenty of it here. One of the best (reasonably priced) Georgian places in St. Petersburg, Хачапурная (Khachapurnaya) happens to have a location a short two-minute walk from the office where I work. At least once a week, and sometimes much more, you can find me there eating lunch.

This is my favorite lunch.

Let's get a close-up of the key part.

That, friends, is khachapuri po-adjarskiy, and is perhaps one of the most delicious, and deadly, things that I have ever eaten. It is a bread-boat kind of thing, filled with cheese, an egg on top, cooked in the oven, with a little butter melting on top for good measure. Yum. I could easily eat one of these everyday. But I don't, because I value the work that my heart does for me. Most khachapuri is a kind of flat bread filled with cheese, that is baked and served hot and melty. Also delicious. The other dish in the first picture is a kind of spicy beef stew, with tomatoes and onions. Don't you want to come eat lunch with me? I realize this doesn't seem like super summery food, but the weather in St. Petersburg also hasn't been super summery. And when something is super delicious, sometimes it doesn't matter what the weather is. If it's hot out, I replace the stew with something more appropriate.

This is another church that I happened upon after work the other day while on my way to Institute class.

I've been really enjoying going to Institute classes, now that I know they exist. It's been fun to meet some of the Church members here that are around my age, and gives me a lot of opportunities to speak Russian and interact with people in an informal setting. I love the network that the Church provides, wherever I happen to be. Instant friends. Fantastic.

In addition to the new people I've met, I've run into some old friends to.

This is me with Julia Sokolova. She is from Ufa, Russia, but moved to St. Petersburg about six months ago. She was a missionary in Lithuania at the same time as me, so it has been fun to see her again.

As an added bonus the Institute building has a pool table and ping pong.

5 comments:

  1. The khachapuri looks delicious, but you can't really go wrong with bread, cheese, butter, and eggs. Let's go to lunch!

    P.S. I'm glad you are thinking of your heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to learn how to make khachapuri po-adjarskiy. It looks like something that we should all get to try. I wish we could come have lunch with you. . .

    Did we meet Julia Sokolova? That name seems so familiar, but I don't recognize her from the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This lunch looks absolutely delicious! It's good to think of ur heart, but my taste buds seem to trump it a lot. I'm glad that ur making so many friends out there! Not that u need extra help, but pool and ping pong are great ways to build relationships. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby was in Ufa for a long time you should ask Julia if she knows her. And have you had Tarhone (spelling?) it's the georgian wheat grass soda, it's gross. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete