Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"Try not. Do or do not; there is no try."

I figured out my internet situation. I am now the proud owner and user of a "yota device." You can learn all about these handy things at http://www.yota.ru/en/. Basically, I now have a 4G connection anywhere I go in St. Petersburg. It will be very handy on the nice, long summer days as it will allow me to sit in the park and update my blog.

The handy little device just plugs into a USB port and I'm good to go. Unfortunately, these devices only work in six Russian cities (Vyborg, St. Petersburg, Moscow, Ufa, Sochi, and Krasnodar) and Managua, Nicaragua, so it won't do me any good back in New York. Random, right? Why Russia and Nicaragua?

Since nothing else of special note happened today, I'm going to use this opportunity to show you pictures of my apartment. I just want to say that I actually did the dishes and cleaned my room right after I took these photos. I'm not sure why I didn't do those things right before I took them. As you'll see, there is all sorts of random decor in the apartment. That all belongs to the people who actually own the place.

This is the main hallway of the apartment. All of the rooms open off of this area, with my bedroom through the open door at the far end.

This is the other hallway (it turns off the main one) going to the kitchen, and with the toilet and shower rooms on the right.

Here is my kitchen. It has been nice to have, though the food I'm able to scrape together from the limited and strange selection at the grocery stores is not really as good as restaurant food. I meant to bring one of my mission cookbooks with me (recipes specifically geared towards cooking with what's available in Lithuania), since the available products in Lithuania were essentially the same as here, but I forgot, and now I can't remember what we ate all the time. I'll figure it out.

This is the living room, which I actually have not used at all yet. Generally once I get home I retreat to my bedroom and do everything in there. But this room is here for me to use, so maybe I'll use it someday, especially if someone comes to visit me while I'm here.

And here is my long, skinny bedroom. My bed is in the corner at the far end of the room on the left.

There is one more big room, which is the owners' bedroom. They live in Moscow, but keep this apartment for times when they come to St. Petersburg for work. They shouldn't be here much while I am here, but may be up for a weekend or two at the beginning of July.

Sorry this is kind of boring. Maybe I'm running out of stuff to say...

13 comments:

  1. You did not explain your title for today. What does it mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll see if anyone can figure out, or happens to know, what my title means. It is, in some way, connected to my post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The connection may or may not be tenuous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it that you are not just TRYING to have a daily blog, but that you are actually writing something, even if you are not feeling that you have something profound to say?
    It's nice to see your apartment.
    I love your pictures of SP--really makes me wish we could go there this summer!
    PS. Suzannah is really a beautiful and sweet baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed at how big the appartment is. I'd have figured it would be small and cramped like any other city appartment. How did you score this place. I'm pretty disapointed in your readers Loren. "Try not. Do or do not: there is no try." is THE classic Yoda line. another popular favorite is "How you get so big eating food of this kind?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. My guess for the title is that it is a quote is from Yoda (as in Star Wars) and your internet device is a yota. It fits because getting the internet has been difficult but now you have it. Yep, I'm just that cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The TV in your bedroom is in the weirdest place, right? It looks like you'd have to stand up in front of your closet to watch it. I'm sure you're keeping up with the latest in Russian soaps despite the odd placement, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yoda! I guess I am really out of it. But to your diligent blogging also it applies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you just blog about blogging? You should just get a big bag of Pelmeni and eat that all the time. I loved that stuff when I was in Russia! Did you know that Ufa not only has the highest amount of Mail-Order brides according to a 48 hours special, but it also has the largest stand alone LDS building in Russia? And it's a bad word in Samoan. Just FYI. Also, I wish I had a nickle for every time I was in Nicaragua and needed a 4G internet connection. You will use that Yota for years!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should find this place that has an incredible sandwich thing that I got once in St. Petersberg, it had chicken and spicy korean carrots and a white sauce and it was in a pita wrap. Abby knows where it is, I almost missed a train to get that sandwich! P.S. Did you just blog about blogging while using obscure Star Wars quotes? Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.P.S. That picture of your laptop makes you look like a high tech drug dealer, you have pill packs, a wad of $1000 ruble notes, what exactly are you doing in Russia?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tacos, tacos, and more tacos we ate.

    ReplyDelete