Sunday, June 13, 2010

One Down; Lots of Ups

I realized that when I gave my whole description of the subway system here a couple days ago I neglected to tell you what the tread on the escalators was like. Here you go.

That is a mark on my shin. How did it get there you ask? By diving head first down the escalator into the subway.

I had quite the trip to church this morning. As I hurried, in my effort to make sure I wasn't late (I needn't have worried - I was twenty minutes early; it's apparently impossible to consistently predict travel times here) I moved at a brisk pace down the subway escalator. It's still not clear to me exactly what happened, but somehow I tripped, stumbled, fought to grab the handrail, and went down head first. My entire body went airborne. Then I hit the escalator hard, flat out, arms stretched in front of me, and umbrella flying down a good distance away from me. That mark on my shin is one of many similar marks on my legs (especially knees), hips, chest, and arms. Fortunately it was 9:00 am on a Sunday morning, so the escalator wasn't crowded, because based on how close I got to the guy that was in front of me, I estimate that through the course of my fall I traveled about thirty feet down. In case it's not clear what I mean - I slid on my stomach down the escalator for about thirty feet. It was insane and I thought I might die. I'm now walking with a very decided limp and my entire body is sore, especially where I landed on the steps on my chest. Also, I felt like a fool.

On the upside, I had a great day at church. I talked to some interesting people and felt really good about my progress with the language, and to top it off Elder Perry, one of the twelve apostles, was at church and spoke today. There was a district wide meeting and first Elder and Sister Senkans (who are from Latvia, so that was fun for me too, since they were from my mission) and then Elder and Sister Perry spoke. I felt like I definitely learned from the things that they had to say and felt like I also received some personal inspiration and testimony affirmation that I really needed.

After church I had plans to go visit a monastery in the city, but I was actually in enough pain that I didn't really feel up to spending the day walking around. It took most of what I had to get myself home, so I've spent the rest of the day lounging and feeling sore. This makes me feel like a little bit of a baby, especially when I think about my friend Todd, who just completed a marathon after breaking his big toe on mile 16. But, in my defense, I don't think I've ever had a fall like this in my life and it really was a little crazy. Also, I feel like at some point in my life, and perhaps not that long ago, I would have been able to shake it off better than I am. While I was able to hop up, act like everything was fine when the guy I had almost rammed into asked if I was okay, and get to church with no problem, my entire body is now completely sore and my muscles feel really tense. Does this mean I'm getting old? I feel like I'm still too young to feel so achy.

P.S. Just in case you're interested, I don't want you to miss the other two posts I put up this evening as well. Three in one day! A bit much, maybe.

8 comments:

  1. Loren-
    This might be creepy, but I have been following your blog. I love it! I have never been to Russia (but it's on my list). That looks like a nasty fall!! Feel better!

    Christine Walton

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Loren!!! I'm so sorry to hear of this unfortunate escalator accident!! I am sending you a virtual hug all the way from NYC. Also, I must admit that while I found myself audibly gasping while reading this post, I also did a fair amount of giggling; and then feeling really bad about giggling... especially when considering the very illustrative photograph of your bloodied shin. But then, I guess the most interesting episodes in life are frequently as hilarious as they are harrowing. In any case, I'm relieved to hear that you weren't seriously injured. And I'm also incredibly impressed that after your fall, you continued on to church. That will teach that escalator to mess with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OUCH Loren! Other than the superman down the escalator sounds like your doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! i figured this story merited one of you three promised blog posts :)

    OUCH!

    I once fell down an escalator when I was little and still remember the scrapes down my arms and legs. Seriously so painful. Glad you came out of this one alive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch. Loren!

    But, I have a problem and I couldn't stop laughing while reading this post. :) I know, it's incredibly insensitive and cruel, but for some reason, falling down, though one of my biggest fears, is something that just gets me laughing. -- http://foggyshore.blogspot.com/2008/10/param-namemovie-value-httpd.html

    I have to admit though, that laughing sometimes comes because I'd rather cry... and the thought of similar wounds on my stomach and chest make me want to cry. Ouch.

    I hope you heal quickly and feel like laughing about it later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, were your church clothes not all dirty and scraped up? I am glad you are okay, and yes, you are getting old. I make grunting sounds when I get up off the floor, if that is any consolation.

    PS--did you know you can schedule blog posts? So if you have three written and don't want to post them all at once, you can schedule them to post one a day.

    Also, we would like to talk to you on the phone. Jens and I just finished reading one of your favorite books ever and he wants to tell you about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am ready for a new blog post!

    ReplyDelete