Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Free at Last

For the moment I don't feel any crushing weight to be getting anything done. This is the first time since I started law school that I've felt this way. Not that I've been working super hard on this writing competition, but it kept me from really enjoying myself. I submitted all my stuff a few minutes ago and felt immediately lighter. I love that feeling. I don't know that I did an amazing job, but it was at least something. We'll see how it all turns out. Of course, now that I think about it, I better start researching employers so I'm already to interview when I get back. I think I have to submit my rankings of employers that I want to interview with (rank up to 50!) pretty soon.

In other news, there's not much. I did go to a meeting after work today that was fairly interesting. Ivan told me I should go because a professor from NYU Law School would be speaking, so I assumed it would be some kind of lecture. It wasn't. When I got to the room where the gathering was happening it was in a small office and there were three people sitting there. I felt a little funny because Ivan had received a specific invitation, but wasn't going to be there, so I didn't know if it was a private kind of thing or whether I could just walk in and sit down. It was all fine of course, and in the end there were about ten people there. The professor from NYU, Stephen Holmes, is in Russia traveling and doing research with a scholar from Sofia, Bulgaria named Ivan Krastev. What they were really doing was just having a conversation with these people that worked at the European University in St. Petersburg about the Russian court system. It was interesting to sit in on the conversation and to learn a little bit more about the Russian legal system. Professor Holmes seems to teach a lot of classes on law and security, which would be pretty cool, and I got to talk to him a little bit. He seemed like he would be an engaging professor.

Anyway, that was about all that really happened today out of the ordinary. Other than that I was really just writing. Except it was raining today and I could not figure out where to buy an umbrella. I looked in every store I passed and could not find them anywhere, though everyone on the street has one, so they must exist somewhere. I hope I can find one soon.

2 comments:

  1. I like the titles of your posts. Maybe you can get the job of headline editor for the law review (-;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free is the best feeling! It is amazing that an NYU professor would be in Russia the same time you were and that you were able to connect. Hopefully, it will be advantageous to you in the future. I like your posts. They have made me curious about Russian culture and government. I should read something about them. Did you ever finish The Whisperers? I never did, but now I think I should add it to the summer reading list. I'm glad things are going well for you so far.

    ReplyDelete