Friday, May 21, 2010

Today I Walked 5,000 Miles

Though all of my entries have been written "with love," this is my first entry "from Russia." Crazy stuff. I can't believe I'm here.

My flight was scheduled to leave New York for Moscow yesterday at 4:05 pm, and while we boarded on time (I was in my too small seat by 3:30), the plane did not take off until 7:30. It felt like a long time to be sitting on an airplane. But I made it, and that's what counts. After making it through passport control and customs I took a train to the city. It dropped me off at Belorussky Train Station, where I got on the famous Moscow metro, and finally made it to my hotel at about 3:30. I promptly changed into shorts (it was hot here!) and left to explore the city for what was left of the day.

Here is my conclusion: Moscow is not friendly to pedestrians; it is a city of crazy wide, busy streets; no crosswalks; and long distances. My feet are sore. I explored quite a few parts of the city, though, and got myself a train ticket to go to St. Petersburg tomorrow. For some reason the Russians decided it would be a good idea to have something crazy like ten or thirteen different train stations in Moscow, each of which only serves specific destinations. It makes getting a train ticket a little confusing, at least to me.

I'm holding off judgment on Moscow until I have time to really come and take it slow, absorb some of the things here, and really experience what Moscow has to offer. But as of this moment, Moscow is not my favorite city, but part of that might be because today and yesterday all feel like one really long day.

I did take some pictures today.


I took this picture out by the Leningradsky Station, where I bought my ticket to St. Petersburg. You can see what I think are two of the "seven sisters." Stalin built seven similar buildings ringing the central part of the city.

This is the Cathedral of Christ the Redeemer, built in the 1990s to replace the cathedral that Stalin had blown up. Yeltsin laid in state in this Cathedral after he died in 2007. I didn't go in today because I was wearing shorts, but next time I come I'll go inside.

This is a view up a wide street towards the Kremlin. I swear there is not a single view in this city that is not full of overhead wires. Next time I'm here I'll also pay to get in the Kremlin and go on a tour.

This was the best picture I was able to get of myself in front of St. Basil's. Once again, I'll go inside next time. Today was mainly about exploring the city.

The Kremlin walls from the outside.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it safely. Russia looks beautiful. The architecture is different, but very interesting and cool. St. Basil's looks amazing! The inside must be incredible as well. Go inside soon, so you can write about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures make me very sorry that we won't be visiting you this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate JFK.
    Moscow sounds like an urban planner's dream.
    Glad you made it safely.
    I read your blog, and commented.

    ReplyDelete