Sunday, May 23, 2010

Ugh. Who Cares about Cybercrime and Personal Jurisdiction?

I do a little bit, but not right now!

Sorry. No pictures today.

Today I went to church. Online I found LDS meeting times at the same building at 12 and 12:30, which seemed strange, so I shot for the 12. It turned out that today was district conference (a special church meeting that happens every six months), and it started at 11, so I was an hour late. I nailed down, though, that meetings normally start at 10:30 and 12:30, so I will probably be joining the 10:30 branch from now on. Also, this church building was a little strange and hard to find as it was in the back part of a monstrous building that was a long walk from everywhere. For whatever reason, though, I decided to walk to the back of the building to see what I could find, and I managed to spot windows that looked as if they might belong on an Eastern European LDS chapel.

After church, and the trek back to the metro, I went and got lunch at a Georgian restaurant. Yum. I'm looking forward to being able to move into my apartment so that I won't have to eat out all the time, but the Georgian food was good.

I spent the rest of the day reading material for the journal writing competition at school. I meant to get this done before I left New York, but with one thing and another I didn't even bother starting it (whoops!), which is why I found myself sitting on a bunk-bed reading about jurisdictional problems for law suits based on internet activity. BOOORING! Towards the end the material started to get more interesting, but was still not scintillating bedtime reading. I might just chuck it and only try for moot court, in which case I don't need to worry about writing a comment on these hundred+ pages of material. Moot court is what I think I really want to do anyway, but I was going to try for some journals as a back-up plan. There are certainly a lot of journals and only one moot court board. Advice? Counsel?

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and finally getting started on my real purpose here; though there is a little knot of anxiety in my stomach too.

4 comments:

  1. Back-up plans are always a good idea (except for j-lo movies) especially if you have the time to work on it. Plus you've already done the hard part by getting through the boring reading. So might as well write a comment, and you can make it scintillating by using the words twitter, facebook, or google in your comment. Good luck on the job tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck tomorrow. I hope it is something interesting. As for the journals, I would say cast your nets wide and then decide what to throw back. Sorry if that isn't what you want to hear, but better to end up with something rather than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the above counsel; too early to conclude that you definitely have a spot on the moot court, and too risky to have nothing. And don't think I don't know a little bit about spitting in the wind after a year of writing unsuccessful grants! But you have to try for everything in order to get anything. And it's hard to tell what you will really like before you actually do it. Don't mean to be preachy . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to a Georgian restaurant in Russia once. I had wheatgrass soda, they thought it was great, I thought I had entered the 7th level of hell when nothing - NOTHING would get that taste out of my mouth. Ughhh, I feel a little sick just remembering it.

    ReplyDelete